Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Our Role in a Changing Culture

At this point in the school year, I REALLY love it when something makes me smile. Sometimes it is my high schoolers who make me smile. Remember how I wrote the blog on kickball?

Today in class, I witnessed my students all singing, "Make a Man Out of You" from Mulan. Actually, it was more like a "heartily belting out." Together. In unison. Did I mention that this included almost all of the 15 and 16-year old boys? While there are many moments when I dislike students acting younger than they actually are, it's enjoyable to see high schoolers enjoying a children's cartoon for once, rather than so many of the other things that are commonly talked about in class and out. (And just to explain -- there is a purpose for watching Mulan in a high school world religions class. It's GREAT for explaining the tenets of Confucianism in Asian culture. Honoring the family and nation. Loyalty. Filial piety. Cheng-ming. Go Disney.)

But I think and worry a lot about the loss of innocence in our culture. Not that I prefer a naive generation -- that's not what I'm saying. We need to prepare our children for the real world, not keep them secluded in a Christian bubble. But there is a balance that we find very difficult to strike. As for the loss of innocence, I could blame it on the teenagers, on the younger generation, except for the fact that it's not just teenagers. That would be neither right nor fair. Our culture (and we are part of it) has made this desensitization and defilement so prevalent, that it's only natural that it passes down to younger and younger ages. Yes, students are accountable. But oh my goodness, so are we. Matthew 18 says it well -- "Whoever receives one such child in my name receives me, but whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a great millstone fastened around his neck and to be drowned in the depth of the sea. Woe to the world for temptations to sin! For it is necessary that temptations come, but woe to the one by whom the temptation comes!" Aaaarrrghh.

What a responsiblity we have to protect and love the younger generations. To ingrain truth in love. It's not enough that we are not active perpetuators of the temptations -- we are to be active guardians against it or we are just as guilty. Christians can change culture. It's been done before. Are we even trying?

So, looking at your life (as I look at mine), who are the "younger generation" in your life? Are you an active guardian against temptation in their lives? Do you advocate radical, God-pursuing culture change where God has placed you? What are you doing to help raise up a generation after God's own heart?

2 comments:

Laurien said...

Great post. Glad you got your red phone back. Haha.

Laurien said...

Please update...