Saturday, January 31, 2009

Life on Life

Forgive me if I talk about something that so many others have journalled and written about. In the past few years, I have come to understand something of the utmost importance. Life was not meant to be lived in solitary fashion. No, I'm not talking about being married or being single. We were just not created to do life alone. We were not created simply to be individuals. We were created for community. Without community, without accountability, correction, and encouragement, we collapse in on ourselves and become selfish and one-dimensional.

Last week, one of my students, one of my girls, became a follower of Christ. I have been praying for this student the entire year, and I am completely thrilled -- she has been on my heart for several months. But what impacts a high schooler who has been in a Christian school her whole life but has never been touched by Truth before? What impacts anybody? What causes the only real life change?

Jesus Christ is the only perfect example. He impacted his disciples by just spending time. Lots of time. We are impacted "life on life." The disciples needed to be kicked in the butt from time to time. How are we any different? And then Christ died for them. And us.
I worry about my students. I suppose, as a teacher, it comes with the territory. Yes, I know that worrying doesn't help. And at times, it's a matter of the wrong motivation -- usually pride. But there are times when I truly wish I had the ability to impact the life of every student every year. I wish I could explain and pass on the excitement for Christ that I have on every student every year. I suppose every person wishes to know that their life has made a difference in the life of others. And truly, I think every person knows that their life does affect others, whether for good or not.

Mentors and teachers have made a difference in my life. Parents and siblings too. People who totally agree with me. People who wholeheartedly disagree with me. People who have loved me. People who have not. Those I want to be like. And those I don't. Mostly, people who I have spent time with. We rub off on each other. We can't help it. We become like those we spend the most time with.

People watch us (whether we think it or not). People pay attention. They consider our actions. They consider our words. They think about what we say and do. Do we think as much about what we say and do as others do? Consider the weight of words (James 3). I don't always as much as I should. Every person is a mentor -- the question is, to whom and for what? I can't know who I influence or how. I can't know all the ways God will use me. No one can. Anything good that comes is purely by the grace of God. My dad used to tell me, "Michelle, I hope that you learn only all of the good from your mom and I. Don't let the bad rub off. Just the good." I've thought about that since I was a teenager. I feel the same way.

So take a look at our lives. Can we pinpoint what exactly is rubbing off on the people around us? How is our life impacting the lives of others? Is it for the glory of God? Is it for the glory of self? Are we selfish or selfless?

2 comments:

free69 said...

Greg'
My name is Gina i am a friend of your aunt Kay. We were looking at your blogs and i found alot of truth in todays..I found out today one of my very good friends killed his self this morning..WHAT WAS HE THINGING!!!!!! He was found by his 8year old daughter...Didn't he know the impact this would have on her for the rest of her life...Everything we say someone will hear, Everything we do someone will see. We leave impressions on the lives of many even if we don't notice. Today we have to tell a little girl that her dad is never coming home. He also leaves behind a set of twin boys one in Irac and one in jail neither have saw their dad in 2 years. How will this effect them. The kids can never look to their father for guidance,acceptance,or love..So when you pray please remember my friend family,and pray that i will be able to help the family... that god will give me the word they need to hear..
Thanks for you time and i hope God will bless you over and over..
Gina

Laurien said...

I think you know my thoughts on this post...Most excellent indeed!!