Sunday, April 5, 2009

Golf Balls Are Falling on My Head. Well......Almost.

Today I went to my first golf tournament -- the Shell Houston Open. And I have to admit -- it was a lot more fun than I thought it might be. I have evolved from 1) absolutely hating golf and thinking it was sooooooo boring to 2) starting to play it with Greg and beginning to like it, as long as I have an ample supply of Gummi Bears to quell my frustrations to 3) preferring watching PGA Golf as my Sunday afternoon nap accompaniment to 4) being willing to pay money to attend a golf tournament (although a friend gave us free tickets, so that was a blessing!). What an odd road it has been :)

Anyway, we were able to see several golf professionals that we watch on TV up close, and it was quite enjoyable. I got to see Phil Mickelson (one of my favorites!), Anthony Kim (I stood about two feet from him), Padraig Harrington (good guy), Sergio Garcia, Fred Couples, Greg Norman, Lee Westwood, J.B. Holmes, Kevin Na, Rory McIlroy (19-year old boy wonder from Ireland), Justin Leonard, Camillo Villegas, Charles Howell III, Heath Slocum (go Georgia boy! Stood about two feet from him on an errant ball by the cart path), and a bunch of other pros. I missed seeing Geoff Ogilvy tee off because we had to leave.

Highlights of the Day:

1) Getting to see Phil Mickelson -- he looks a LOT skinnier in person. Seriously, the camera adds, like, 30 pounds. To everyone except for Padraig Harrington. I don't know why.

2) Snatching a spot in the very front, right next to the green on Hole 1, and watching 21 pros putt up close and personal -- half of them were staring straight at me (ok, so I exaggerate a little, but not much) as they made their shot.

3) Almost getting beaned in the head by Anthony Kim's stray ball and then getting to stand about 2 feet from him as he chipped it beautifully onto the green - I will tell you this. The boy has style.

4) Trying not to yelp when a bug flew up my nose as one of the pros was putting (if you don't know, making ANY noise when they are striking the ball is a HUGE no-no)

5) Taking a nap in the grass and the sunshine next to the first hole as we waited for Round 3 to begin

6) Spending an entire day doing something with my husband that I never ever in a million years thought I would enjoy doing, and THOROUGHLY enjoying it!

It was one of the most relaxing days we had had in awhile, and it was nice, just walking around, enjoying the sunshine, enjoying the golf (which I can actually say I enjoy watching), and enjoying each other. Fun times for all, I must say. An extra blessing for the weekend :)

1 comment:

[blank]smith. said...

If I were a bug, I might fly up your nose. Just sayin'...