Monday, September 28, 2009

Redemption and Community

Again, it's been much too long. Greg and I have been going through another incredibly busy season in our lives. And we don't even have kids yet! (Props to all you parents out there....we don't know how you do it...)

Anyway, I've been struck by a couple of things lately. First of all, the importance of living in community (which I think I've blogged about before, but I keep learning about it). And secondly, and separately, the interesting fact that humanity seems to be created for and to long for redemption, and how that shows so much the image of our Creator in us.

#1 -- Seeking Community

I know I have written about this before, so I'll make it short, but I can't get over how important being around others is. How important it is that we as the body of Christ seek to be around each other, encourage one another, and be guided by the Holy Spirit to speak truth into each other's lives.

I laughed a TON yesterday, because this is the picture I saw when I looked out the window (while I was at my father-in-law's house).


You see, Dad was trying to talk to his neighbor, who was mowing his yard on the other side of the fence. Tim lives over there, and we all got to know him after Hurricane Ike, when Dad's fence got blown over by the gale-force winds. We got to know Tim, and he and Dad hit it off. So now they hang out sometimes, run errands to Home Depot, talk while standing on ladders looking over the fence. You know, the usual friend thing :) I thought it was priceless.

I think, in our society, we put up too many walls. Too many fences between us and authentic, rich community. God has called us as Christians to allow the Holy Spirit to work through us and the people around us. Why are we so satisfied with surface-level conversation? "Hi. How are you doing? How's life treating you?" But seldom do we wait to hear the real heart of the matter -- what battle is that person fighting? Every person has one. Do we actually care to figure out what it is? Not to fix it. Not to encourage wallowing in self-pity even. But to see where the Holy Spirit is moving in that person, and to walk alongside them in their journey, whatever place that is. To encourage godly strength and beauty in that person.

#2 -- The Impression that Redemption Makes on Us



The other day, Greg and I were driving by a parking lot, and there were probably about 20 or 25 colorful classic cars sitting in the lot, hoods popped on all of them, several people walking by and taking a peek at the shiny new engines. I have never understood the fascination at car shows. Part of this is that I never grew up with anyone who loved cars like these people obviously did. So I said to Greg -- "I don't get it. Why the fascination? They're just cars! I can understand other pastimes that guys enjoy. Like fishing. Or hunting. Or golfing. But what IS it about old cars???"

Well, yesterday, my pastor answered my question. He spoke on creation and redemption. And one of the things that he mentioned is that humanity has a fascination with redemption. We like to see the underdog win ("Rudy! Rudy! Rudy!" Seen that movie? It's a good one.) We like to see people's lives change, as long as it's for real (thus, the fascination by some, anger by others, with Michael Vick since his return to NFL football). We like to renovate old houses. We like to see the old made new. Thus, the fascination with classic cars.

Now, I get it. Being made in the image of the Ultimate Redeemer, the One who makes all things new in the utmost sense of the word, I want to see change. I want to see a new start. A fresh beginning. I personally love a good movie where the underdog wins it all. I enjoy doing fun new things to my house to fix it up -- a new coat of paint, tearing off old wallpaper, redecorating walls and windows. In moderation, of course. Others love to remodel old cars. They love a coat of shiny new paint. New chrome. A humming engine. New upholstery and leather seats. Now I understand it.

No comments: